Monday, February 6, 2012

keepin' up when the appeal wears off...

January was a good month.  I felt more fruitful, productive, relaxed, thankful, etc----and I really focused on enjoying my husband and wild   perfectly obedient children.  I had hit the ground running in goal setting, priority re-focusing and organizational overhaul.

And then February first was upon us---and I was delighted to have stayed on track a month....but the appeal....well, let's just say it's easy to get in a bit of a slump.  I have still been in the Word every day---but I find my mind wandering more often.  I'm still keeping a tidy home, but I find myself wanting to continually put things off.  I'm still enjoying my husband and children, but I find that somedays it requires a great deal of effort to be truly purposeful with them. 

In short, the shiny appeal of the New Year is gone---and now it's time to buck up and decide if these priorities, goals, resolutions....whatever name you put to them....if these will stick.  I'm still sticking.  Yes, it's meant jumping up and down in place a few times to work up the energy to load the dishwasher before I go to bed at night.  Yes, it's meant re-reading the same passage of scripture over and over to make up for the moments my mind is wandering.  Yes, it's meant apologizing to my kids...and sometimes my husband....when my patience wears thin.

But I'm sticking.

God is cultivating the discipline in my life to work through these bumps, to press on & to not throw my hands up in the air when the going gets tough.

So, for February...here's the breakdown of intentional goals...

The Habit: My husband and I are getting back on the "all cash" bandwagon when it comes to groceries/household expenses  More to come---and my first week back on that wagon---

The New thing: Homemade spaghetti sauce...and possibly a new laundry detergent recipe

Organizational project(s):  Undecided.  Most likely our bedroom closets & large bookshelf.  But hopefully I can muster up the will power to take on the finished part of our attic.  It's for real a scene straight out of Hoarders.

The Books: Working my way through Loving the Little Years right now.  Not sure if another one will make it's way on the list as we are wrapping up a discipleship group this month that requires extra reading as well.

What about you?  Are you "sticking"?  Any new years goals that you're struggling with?

No comments:

Post a Comment