Thursday, July 15, 2010

Is this what I signed up for??

As I type this, my precious lil' gal is screaming her little heart out from her fancy-schmancy crib. I'm guessing by now she has thrown both Ellie and Ernie out of her crib (her beloved stuffed elephants) & I'd say odds are several pacifiers are covering the floor of her room as well.

If I were a betting woman (which I happen to be), I'd also dare to say that my list of 10 things to do today is not going to happen.

let me rewind a bit....

I'm Mrs. B--wife to one handsome fella & mommy to one outgoing lil' gal. My husband and I were married within 8 months of our first date---and we found out we were expecting our daughter shortly before our 3-monthiversary of marriage. If you've done the math, you'll quickly recognize that we found out we were pregnant the month before we celebrated one year of being a couple.

Today we have a one year old daughter that is simply a joy (most days) to watch. We'll celebrate our two year anniversary in a month & and we just bought our first home. It's a modest new-to-us home that holds oodles of potential.

now where was I? Oh yes, the "joy" I mentioned a minute ago that is screaming from her crib. My husband and I decided soon after discovering I was pregnant that I would stay home full-time with our family. I loved the idea of staying home, but I'd be lying if I said it's been everything I ever dreamed of.

I suppose I expected that time at home would be me taking Lucy to the library, on playdates, and on stress-free trips to the grocery store. She would nap at the right times and for the appropriate lengths, play happily by my side while I folded laundry, and I would always have dinner ready to go when my husband came home from the office. Instead I've found myself saying "this is NOT what I signed up for!"

and yet, it is. I signed up for the poop on the carpet as much as I signed up for the strolls through the park--whether or not I knew it at the time is irrelevant.

so as I work hard to remind myself of that important fact, I also have to remind myself that I want to relish this time with my daughter. I want to work hard at supporting my family from home, encouraging my husband, and doing whatever it takes to put a smile on lil' Lucy's face--even if that means I have to "fake it until I feel it"----which usually only takes a matter of minutes.

so, now that we've gotten acquainted--and quite candid--it's time for me to go rescue my lil' gal from her self-imposed misery.

Besides, I have a feeling she's going to be working hard to put a smile on my face too. Lucky for her, she doesn't have to try too hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment